Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Gaming In The Real World

It would be great if we had the time to game as much as we want whenever we want, but that's just not realistic for most of us. I've given up MMOs because they were just too demanding of my time or demanded I be in-game at set times it just wasn't possible for me to guarantee. EvE in particular I left because I just couldn't make it work logistically. Now that I'm playing STO, however, I've noticed a marked difference in the way the game is structured that allows me to play when I have time, not only when it's also convenient for others.

Normally, I'm not a big fan of instancing. I come from the EvE school of thought that it's a better game when all of the players are in the same play space. At the same time, though, I must say it's used to best effect here. Instancing allows players like me who log on at weird hours to still be able to find teammates to take on some enemies, and for me, that makes it a significantly better game than one where I have to make sure I'm on in a certain time range in order to ensure that I have something to do.

Right now, I'm taking a couple of days break from STO. There's just too much to do in RL right now. I did log in for a few minutes earlier today, but I doubt I'll have time until tomorrow, when the next winter storm hits. I've been playing so much since I've had it that I think I may have damaged the left button on my trackball mouse. It doesn't trigger reliably anymore, meaning I may have no choice but to replace it if I want to play STO, or really pretty much any PC game. What sucks is that it works well enough just for web surfing and other mundane tasks, but I can't see how I'll manage to survive a decent STO firefight with this thing.

Given that here in New Jersey we're looking at several inches of snow over the next few days, I have a feeling that I may find myself with the time to discover the answer to that burning question.

No comments:

Post a Comment